Tuesday, June 22

Blue Tie-Dye Cake!


I was sitting at work the other day when one of the other interns told me that they were sending him to another office for the rest of the summer. So I decided I was going to bake him a going away cake! Now Turner's colors are blue and white so I wanted to make a blue and white cake.

I first searched online for a yellow cake recipe. I found the recipie for a moist yellow cake at allrecipies.com. The recipe made enough for 3 – 9in round cake pans.

Once the cakes were cooled, I cut off the tops of the cakes to make them nice and even for stacking. To make the cakes blue, I decided to add blue jello to them. I had done this before on a birthday cake I made for myself last year.

What you do is add 1 tablespoon of the jellow mix, to 1/3 cup boiling water, and stir until dissolved. I also added a few drops of blue food coloring to make the blue more bold. Then just pour the jello minxture ontop of the cakes. I did mine in stripes so every piece would have both colors.



Once I had all three cakes "stripped" I wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge over night. The cakes need to be in the fridge for at least 4 hrs for the jello to settle.


The next day I started the construction on the cake. I found the recipe bellow for cream cheese frosting at simplyrecipes.com.

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Directions
1. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2 . Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
3. Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.


Once the frosting was made I proceeded to stack the cake. I put a layer of cream cheese frosting between each layer. I also rotated the layers so that the stripes of each cake would be about 45 degrees from each other. This way each piece would have some of the blue stripes in it.


Once the cake was all stacked I covered the sides and top with the rest of the cream cheese frosting. I saved a small amount of the icing and dyed it blue. I then made the cake have a semi blue tye dye look!

I took the cake to work the next day and everybody loved it. The cake had a nice "berry blue" flavor to it that really paired well with the cream cheese frosting!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...